Monday, October 17, 2011

The Goody-two Shoes Plank Builder

They called me goody-two shoes, teacher's pet, and on one occasion, Ellie the nun. I was "that" kid, the one who eagerly submits complaints in the tattle-tale jar, who is always the first to inform mommy of siblings' misbehavior, who follows the rules to a "t" for fear of getting in trouble.

I used to consider my goody-two shoes title a badge of honor; I was more concerned with accolades from teachers, coaches, and parents than I was with my peers' criticism. When the kids on my swim team said bad words or talked about naughty things, I would proudly declare that I didn't know what they were talking about because I was sheltered; inside, I felt proud that I wasn't bad like those other "sinners". Even now, when I talk to people here at school who drink and party, I continually tell myself that I must be superior to these people who have obviously lost control. I fein pity for those who get wasted on the weekends, but in reality, I like to talk about people who party behind their backs with my friends because it makes me feel better about myself.

Until recently, I didn't really see a problem with this attitude; in fact, I actually thought God would honor me for being more moral that those who have "fallen off the straight and narrow." But then God nailed me smack in the face with the truth; first with a sermon at church, then in a conversation with AJ, THEN again in my devotions the next day. Through these three circumstances, God has really given me a heart check, summarized in the following questions:

How can effectively share my faith, when all I do I stand up on a self-made pulpit, condemning and gossipping about the very people I'm supposed to be showing compassion to? Am I really speaking the truth in love? Do I really care about the lost, or do I just like meeting people who make me feel better about myself? Have I forgotten that I'm just as much a fallen sinner as everyone else in this world? How could I think that my sin is less than that of my partying classmates?

The truth is, I've been focusing on all the specks in my classmate's eyes, while stubbornly ignoring the giant plank in my eye. I've been a Pharisee, concerned only about the "law," forgetting that Jesus actually scorned the Pharisees more than the sinners. To effectively share the gospel, Jesus showed love and compassion to people from all walks of life. For me, that translates to loving partiers, homosexuals, liars, thiefs, murders, etc. not because of some noble compassion I've mustered out of my own strength, but because we're all the same. I am among the chief of sinners.

Here's effective evangelism for ya: I'm just a fellow sinner that has some great news...all the ucky, rebellious sin in my heart and yours has been paid for by Jesus on the cross.

So, if you struggle with judgmental attitudes like me, check out passages like:

Matthew 7:1-5
“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.“Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

or
Galatians 6:1-6
Brothers and sisters, if someone is caught in a sin, you who live by the Spirit should restore that person gently. But watch yourselves, or you also may be tempted. 2 Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. 3 If anyone thinks they are something when they are not, they deceive themselves. 4Each one should test their own actions. Then they can take pride in themselves alone, without comparing themselves to someone else, 5 for each one should carry their own load.

Goody-two shoes plank builders are not so good gospel sharers. So get rid of those planks, and start lovin' some fellow sinners, goodness knows this country needs it!

4 comments:

  1. Wow Ellie! Such an awesome post. Thanks for being so transparent! You are quite the writer also. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Ellie, very powerful and much needed on my end!! Very needed! It's so easy to be like this even when we know that it is not what God wants of us. Thank you for sharing this, you are an amazing writer! What are you going to school for? You could very easily be a pastor with your wise words and ability to play them out like you do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Mrs. C and Sunni! Just wanted to share what God put on my heart :)

    Sunni: I want to be a missionary nurse, so not exactly conducive with writing, but the blog provides a good outlet for that. Thanks for your sweet words; you make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your welcome! I have nominated you for the Liebster Award! Check out my new post! :)

    http://sunnidaegregory.blogspot.com/2011/10/my-first-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete