Monday, December 26, 2011

The Case for Short Term Mission Trips AND an Announcement!!

Disclaimer(s): 
#1: This post will most likely be rather long, but stick through it! And if you really don't have time, just scroll down to the bottom and check out my exciting news! 
#2: I am definitely advocating for short term mission trips, but I understand that the circumstances God has given each of us is different. I totally understand that not everyone has the means or gifts to go on such trips. There must be "go-ers" and "senders." I mean this post to address the criticism against short term mission trips and to explain why they have been so important in my life. 
SO...
We've all experienced moments in our lives when people cocked their heads to the side and said to us, "What on earth do you think you're doing?" For some, this happened when, at the ripe age of 6, they played barber shop with their dear friend, and ended up with quite a funny looking hairdo. 

I think people also ask "What on earth do you think you're doing?" about short term mission trips. Maybe not stated so overtly as in the question above, but you can feel it when you talk to people who don't believe short term trips are worthwhile. They say things like, 

Can't you just send your money instead? 
Biblically speaking, just sending money doesn't really make much sense to me. Not that donating money is bad; I think stewardship is awesome, but when we're arguing whether or not giving should replace going, going will always trump. 
     In Matthew 28:10, Jesus compels His followers, "Go, therefore, and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing the in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit." 
Aren't we followers of Jesus? Doesn't that then compel us to GO too? 
What's more, we show Jesus' love most clearly, boldly, and effectively through building relationships with others. How can we build relationships just by sending money? You're bright, so I'm sure you came up with the answer yourself...You can't!! God works through us to reach people for the kingdom through relationships. To build a relationship we must get to know a person, and to get to know a person, we must GO. 

So it's kind of like a vacation for you though? 
Ok, so no one has ever specifically said this to me, but part of me just knows there are people out there who think it. In part, this is true. Going on a short term trip was about as exciting as a vacation. A new place, a new culture, fun and games, travel. But in a lot of ways, mission trips are not like vacation. On vacation, your heart doesn't break for little kids walking around with tattered shirts and no pants. On vacation, you generally don't have to trust God that you'll survive scary situations. On vacation, your objective is comfort, not discomfort. So, I guess in a way, short term trips are like vacation, but in a lot of ways it's really not. 

Is such a short amount of time really worth that amount of money? 
Can you put a dollar amount on vibrantly experiencing God's tremendous love? 
Is there a specific price for a child who doesn't feel loved to get to learn about and tangibly feel the love Jesus has for him? 
How about a dollar amount for a radically changed heart? 
The truth is I don't think there's a price for carrying out the gospel of Christ. Yeah, it's a bummer that flights cost so much and that we have to pay for a place to rest our heads, but this is God's work we're talking about. There's not a dollar amount that matches.

Short term mission trips are not religious tourism, they're not worthless, they're an expression of faith. They're a chance for a life-changing experience. They're opportunities to break up selfish materialism and pride, and they're a way for God's precious children to physically see His great love for the world. 

If you want an example of God's great power through short term trips, just look at my life. I was the girl who prayed, "Dear God, I'll be anything you want me to be except an astronaut or a missionary." Now, I want to be a missionary nurse. Short term trips change hearts. I promise. 

Ok, so as promised an ANNOUNCEMENT (drum roll please)...

This coming summer, I'm going to Limon, Costa Rica, on a mission trip with Visiting Orphans!!

God has heavily weighed orphans and the oppressed on my heart, so off I go, this time to a Spanish speaking country to use one of gifts He's given me.  

I'm a firm believer that it's never too early to start praying, so pretty please pray for the trip and for our team. 

Stay tuned to find out more about the trip! 



No comments:

Post a Comment