Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Dear Rosie

Dear Rosie,

I told some one about you today. In Spanish class, we were supposed to discuss with our partners one of the happiest moments of our lives. So I told them the story of how we met, how I saw you, the smallest of all the children, standing quietly and expressionless. I told them how I held your small body in my arms for hours. I told them how sad I was when I couldn't get you to smile or laugh. In telling this experience, my voice, in its already shaky Spanish, quivered as the emotions behind our story threatened to burst to the surface.

I continued with the story, and I'm sure they began to wonder, "How was holding a serious, saddened child in a field in the middle of Uganda one of the happiest moments of your life? Wouldn't this break your heart, more than make it happy?"

Well, truth be told, sweet Rosie, holding you as you refused to smile did sadden my heart. But the happy moment didn't come as you continued to stare blankly, simply nodding your head when I asked you how many balloons you held in your hand. The happy moment came when I tickled your tummy and a beautiful smile crept across your face. In that moment, your expression of joy (including a little giggle that escaped from your tightly pursed lips) made me so happy. To know that you felt loved in that moment still brings joy to my heart.

So, that was Spanish class today, Rosie. Another time to reassure my weary heart that waiting on God's timing, pursuing nursing here so I can heal kids across the globe, is worth it.

While I wait, I'll keep telling them all, my sweet friend; I'll tell them because you matter. You matter to Your Heavenly Father, and you surely matter to me.

2 comments:

  1. Ellie, just have to say how proud I am of you for pouring your heart out for all to see, you are one special girl! Of course I'm a little biased, we love you soooo much Dad

    ReplyDelete