Monday, March 5, 2012

Extraordinary Blessings: Happy Birthday, Ry Guy!!



Happy Birthday, Ryan Paul! You've blessed me more than you could ever know. 




On March 6, 1995, I received a title that I've cherished deeply ever since. Ryan, you were the first to give me the honor of being a "big sister," and I am so so thankful that God placed you in my life. 

What a journey these last seventeen years as siblings has brought us! 

Perhaps a highlight reel is in order? 

In the last 17 years we have: 
+Welcomed two more Billman children into our family (and certainly showed them who the bosses were ;)
+Made countless forts and created millions of make-believe scenarios in our back yard 
+Prayed with Emily outside in the snow as she accepted Jesus
+Worked on countless math problem sets and papers (ok...maybe those weren't highlights...let's just stick with "learning experiences") 
+Rocked it out on PC Swim team together 
+Survived two big moves


A lot of times, people think that it's the little sibling that's supposed to look up to the older one, but truth be told, you are the one who should be admired in this relationship. I watch the steadfast love that you continually demonstrate to your friends...and I want to be a friend like that. 

I watch the way you approach life, easygoing and carefree, "sucking the marrow out of life" to quote you're favorite Thoreau (ha)...and I long to find joy like you, in even the most mundane. 


I listen to a room burst with uncontainable laughter (my own eye pouring out tears as I, too, laugh until I can no longer breathe) at your witty and timely humor...and I want to be around your contagious personality for hours upon hours.  

With fascination, I observe the ease and fluidity with which you recite mountains of information about Anatomy or History...and I think to myself, "This kid must certainly be a genius." 

I listen intently, as you vividly describe an experience or conversation related to faith and God...and my heart beats a little faster because I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you will do amazing things for Jesus. 


Ryan, you are an absolute gift to this world: to our family, to your friends, and especially to me. I would love to claim that I "taught" you a lot of the things that you know, like a good big sister should, but the truth is that you have had so much more to teach me. Thank you for showing me how to live big, love hard, and enjoy the moments God has given me. Thank you for having a zest for life that beckons me away from my seriousness and not-so-sociability. Thank you for years of unconditional love that only a little brother can give. 

You are so so loved, Mr. Ry Guy! Cherish this day as we all celebrate 17 years of your life!! 

Happy Birthday!! 








No comments:

Post a Comment