Sunday, November 6, 2011

Sideline Christians Anonymous

I'm a great pretender; no really, I'm the best. For years I put on a show of what seemed to be "good Christianity." But what was on the outside didn't reflect what was happening on the inside. Deep in my heart, I ignored God. I turned my back on Him and instead decided to focus on my outward appearance, to wear down my body in a dangerous way, and to downright fake the life of a good Christian girl.

But God saw fit to keep pursuing my pitifully lost heart. He set up my life circumstances in exactly the right way, the way that would lead me to pursue Him fearlessly. My family moved to Ohio, and there, I met some of the most spiritually strong young women you'll ever see. At first, I was intimidated by these "spiritual giants," but after a while, I soon realized that what these ladies were living out could be mine to. I didn't have to go through the motions; I could live out the same passionate love for Jesus that they did.

So I decided to give up. I decided to let go and let God. This was just the beginning...

I went to Africa, and everything changed.

I saw people who love the Lord with every fiber of their being. I saw people whose lives will end if they don't rely on God's power each and every day of their existence. These people, these precious, precious sons and daughters of the God Most High showed me how to love God.

I talk all of the time about how God broke my heart for orphans and the oppressed while I was in Africa, but something else happened there too. When I came back from Africa, I ceased to be a girl who is content with going through the motions of Christianity. I stopped being a girl whose life only differs from a non-Christian because of my Sunday schedule. My days as a sideline Christian stopped dead in their tracks.

God revived my sick and dying heart.

I hope people notice how different my life looks, not for my sake, but as a testament to God's redeeming work in each of His children's lives. I hope people see through my "God-story" that God doesn't give up on us when we turn our back on Him. He pursues the lost and the broken, and there's no level of brokenness He won't pursue. Trust me; I've been there. There's no games or gimmicks. It's not rocket science or a magic formula. I simply let go and let God.

Your God-story isn't going to look the same as mine; most of you won't go to Africa, although I hope you do! To be honest, I think it's more of a testament to God's power that all of our stories are different. The vast lengths and diverse ways God will go to captivate your heart are astounding.

Please consider letting go and letting God without holding anything back. You might have to let go of things daily (I know I sure do), but don't live your life as a sideline Christian. You'll be missing out on something AWESOME!



1 comment:

  1. OH my goshhh ELLIE I LOVE THIS!!!! I'm going through something really similar right now and i would love to talk to you! you just articulated this so well. like i literally have ttears in my eye! i love you so much and i hope all keeps goin well for you!
    ps i dont know how this particualr blog site works because i use tumbler but this is kristen ellison <3

    ReplyDelete