Saturday, May 11, 2013

Day 5: A Big, Big God

Today I learned that God is BIG.

I learned that I am small, and to be loved by a God who created such astonishing beauty is an immense gift of grace. In La Peña de Bernal, Mexico, God gently prodded at my heart, reminding me of this undeserved gift of love.

This morning, we hopped on a bus from UAQ and made about an 1 hour trek to a city outside of Querétaro called Bernal, where the world's third largest rock is located. We slathered ourselves in sunscreen, put on our touristy tennies, and began our climb up the rock. First of all, let me just say that I love, love, love to hike, so today for me was awesome! In fact, I wish we could have climbed higher and farther!! Upon arriving at the highest point we were allowed, we stopped to take "un montón de fotos" and admire God's beautiful creation. The pictures below do not do the sights we saw any justice. The view from the top of la Peña de Bernal was amazing!



























After our "rock climbing adventure," we had lunch together at a restaurant in town and then spent about an hour or so shopping. When we were done in Bernal, we drove about 20 minutes away to a Mexican vineyard and received a tour, as well as a bit of wine tasting. 


Our marathon of fun continued this evening with a trip downtown to a local festival of music and dance. Essentially, it was a performance of dancers and musicians from Mexico, Venezuela, Honduras, and Argentina. Man, could these people move! I think I enjoy watching things like dance performances because I have not an ounce of rhythm, nor the skills to dance something as simple as the macarena. All in all today was a great day, filled with laughs and adventure. 



 After the festival 


Hanging out with Pili, our host sister :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment