Now, when I say walk, you might be thinking that it was maybe a mile or two, but not so much. The walk from where the bus driver dropped us off to the Basilica de Colón was 6 miles. We walked and walked with praise songs and shouts ringing in the air until we arrived at the Basilica. Upon arriving, we grabbed some lunch in a market. Two words people: Mexican gorditas. These were nothing like the cheesy gordita crunches you might see at Taco Bell and are currently running a close second with tamales as my favorite traditional Mexican food.
Mass came after our gorditas, and there was plenty of time for the food to settle because mass lasted about 2 and 1/2 hours. Today's big lesson? Patience. If you know me well, you might remember that being patient is not one of my strong suits. Life in Mexico is definitely challenging that character flaw. Time here is used a lot more loosely than we use it in the US. I feel like in the US we are always on the move, and don't take much time to just sit and be. Although I think its great that the pace of life in Mexico is slower, it is still taking some adjusting. Today's 11 hour "viaje" to Colón definitely forced me to practice patience, and for that, I am grateful because it is a lesson I desperately need to learn.
I also need to give a big shout out to my amazing momma! She is actually in Mexico right now, but is too far away to stop by for a visit. I just want to say, Mom, that I am so blessed to have been raised by such a godly woman. Your love and compassion for others is so evident in every conversation you have. You have taught me so much through the years and have been there as a confidant during every life change. Thank you for your unwavering support in anything I have chosen to pursue. I hope you feel so loved today, even though our family is not all in the same place!
Outside of La Basilica de Colón
Gordita in all its glory!
Inside La Basilica
Inside La Basilica
Inside La Basilica


No comments:
Post a Comment