Saturday, May 18, 2013

Medíca Tec 100 and San Miguel de Allende

Another day at Tec 100 
The last two days in Querétaro have been great! On Friday, we spent our second day at the private hospital Medíca Tec that I spoke about in my last post. In order to allow us to see different aspects of the hospital, we rotated to different units than we had been in on Thursday. I was in hemodynamics (which is basically a cath lab) as well as the emergency room. Although there weren't any patients having procedures done in the cath lab, the x-ray tech was kind enough to take the time to explain things to me. He showed me all of the equipment, how it was operated, and explained all of the steps of particular procedures. After his explanations, I was even able to view video footage from previous procedures. Since there was nothing to do in hemodynamics after his explanations, I floated on over to the emergency room to observe, as well as help the nurses if need be. Unfortunately, there weren't many patients in the ER and not much left for the nurses to do, so I was not able to perform any skills other than put some compression socks on a patient and administer some meds via IV. I was a little disappointed that I didn't get to practice much; however, it was a bit of a blessing in disguise because I was able to talk extensively with the nurses about things specific to my project (more on that in another post). 

All in all, I enjoyed my experience both days at Medíca Tec 100. Because our class is focused on comparing health care in the US with health care in Mexico, it was very important for us to see a broad spectrum of hospitals in the area. Our visit to Medíca Tec 100 allowed us to see an example of a private hospital in Mexico, such that we can now compare it to the public hospitals here too. 

San Miguel de Allende 
We just returned from a fantastic visit to another Mexican city, San Miguel de Allende, another place full of rich history, beautiful architecture, and fascinating culture. As we walked up to our first stop in the city, my heart about skipped a beat from pure joy...we found a STARBUCKS, a satisfying taste of home! Any trip that starts with Starbucks is a good one in my book! After coffee, we walked through the city a bit until we found the place for trolley tours of the city. Since not everyone in our group understands Spanish well, we tried to find a tour in English and were successful! The guide gave a bilingual tour throughout the city, pointing out things like the homes of Spanish nobility and famous singers, old churches and monasteries, and a beautiful park that had been recently restored. I think the whole group really enjoyed the tour and learning about another piece of Mexico's rich history. After the tour, we grabbed some lunch at a delicious restaurant called Borgenvillia and then did a bit of shopping before heading home to be with our families. 









No comments:

Post a Comment